Saturday, March 31, 2018

Easter!

                                          Wetlands Somewhere oil on canvas 30x24 [2011]


 Once this holiday was celebrated. Now it`s a quaint relic, or so it seems. I`m no longer a church goer so I may be wrong. It sure was a big deal when I was a kid. Mom was a Southern Baptist who had to agree at the outset that any children would be raised Catholic, like Dad. Since neither were particularly religious given their young age, this may have seemed minor. Yet as the brothers were born, the Reformation was reenacted within our family. For Lent, Dad strongly 'encouraged' us to give up candy to better understand the suffering of Christ. It worked, we were miserable. Especially during Holy Week when we also attended long services in Latin almost every night of that week. But come Sunday, that secular rabbit came through! Our Easter baskets were heavy with chocolate! No doubt the experience of delayed gratification was a helpful prelude to real life. As I got older, the mysteries of the Church had their way with me and I was a true believer! So as not to leave my Mom feeling isolated, I also memorized Bible verses through the BMA. I was one thoroughly Christian little kid! But it unraveled rather quickly as a teen, just through the idea of a loving God. No salvation necessary, just do your best. My outrage would come later as I fully understood the persecution of homosexuals.
 Easter was holy and I still think so. A celebration of rebirth, spring planting, warmer and longer days and for new starts, new hope! It`s worth a party!


                                        The Storm is Passing acrylic and ink on Vellum 10.5x8


                                               Split in the Cliff watercolor on Yupo 14x11


                                         Fallen Tree watermedia on mineral paper 9.75x9.25


                                             Untitled in Gray watermedia on Yupo 14x11


                                                  Untitled BW oil on cradled panel 14x11


 Some recent small paintings.
For the first time in memory, I have a lot of unfinished work around. Usually I`m too obsessed to walk away from something. But as I mentioned, it`s been difficult to concentrate. There is a limit to how long I can stand. In this period of waiting for my surgery [April 23], I had hoped to complete some of these disappointing paintings. Luckily I had the good sense to contact someone wiser than me. She told me no, just do new things. Chores right now aren`t good for my head.


 My part of the 'Nature Perceived' show, now goes from the museum to the Hanson Howard Gallery in Ashland Oregon. Four other paintings are also included. The local paper has published a preview saying I am a disciple of Richard Diebenkorn. While I think he was a terrific painter, I`ve never thought of me as a follower. Too distractable!


 Earlier this month, I was the juror of acceptance for the California Watercolor Association`s regional show. I said who`s in and who`s out. It`s true, the power was intoxicating!


Anybody know anything about the Myers-Briggs personality tests? Is there anything to it? Years ago I took the test and wrote down what I was, INFJ. Never thought much about it until recently when I`ve learned of others of my 'type'. I have no time whatsoever for astrology, so if this has any validity, it would be great to be more predictable.


Some art I`ve enjoyed;


                                                              by Adrian Ghenie

 Look close, it`s everyone`s favorite painter! The red on his cheek is brilliant, raw and exposed. That`s exactly how I think of him, defenseless against reality. The good dying young.


                                                                 by Adrian Ghenie

 Another. Vulture in a dead tree, atomic explosion in the distance. Hope this isn`t a prediction.


                                                                   by Fred Cumings


 I love every scrap this man produces. In this truly awesome seascape, all is poised for the crash of the wave. The waters are gathered back, the dark cloud hovers, sunlight breaks on the cresting wave, the waxing moon will witness, the receding film of foam rushes toward the monster..... It`s so dramatic! Fred Cumings paints everything with such sensitivity!


                                           The Descent from the Cross by Anthony Caro


 This sculpture takes a little time. We`ve all seen paintings of this desolate moment. I found this very tender.


                                                                  by Fiona Strickland

Botanical illustration is an old love of mine. Might have been the career that blended my interest in art and science. Fiona Strickland brings a breathtaking intensity to the genre.



                                                                by Joan Mitchell


Here`s a simple, early Joan Mitchell! Everything threatens to fly off the canvas but doesn`t. All is contained though whirling.




OMG, what if he`s right?!



work for sale in my studio





3 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I think David Bowie may be right and I am OK with that!

Personality tests are useful but I worry about them nonetheless. Anything that will pigeon hole someone feels very limiting. A person can't ever get out from under a label (or oftentimes live up to it.). On the other hand, recognizing your tendencies and working with them is a useful tool.

I like the Split Cliff piece a lot (probably because I was in a slot canyon recently-very relatable.).

There is something to be said for rituals and the holidays that surround them. Easter is a good one even if just conceptually. Rebirth, regeneration, freshness, etc. It feels very earthy to me and I like that. And I like the chocolate, OK?

I have made some very bad artwork waiting for surgery; very bad art related decisions. Do whatever you can to cope!

Beautiful pieces! Hope you are well.
Libby

E.M. Corsa said...

You can probably guess my favorite - Untitled in Gray.

Of course David Bowie is right! That's what makes getting older tolerable.

My heart is with you. I can't imagine not being able to tramp about as long as you like. The surgery will go well, you will heal and all will be well for when I relocate and we go for a hike. My scary appointment is this Thursday. We will both survive.

Donna Thibodeau said...

Wetlands Somewhere is phenomenal.